Goan Prawn Curry
Big Sam’s Ingredient: Prawns
Preparation Time: 35 Minutes
For the prawns
- 20 Jumbo Prawns or Shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- Enough water to soak the prawns completely
For the ground masala
- 8–10 dried Kashmiri Red Chillies
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole Peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 small knob of Tamarind (1 teaspoon Tamarind Paste)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 cup grated Coconut
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
For the curry
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced Ginger
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 8–10 Curry Leaves
- Start by defrosting prawns. Transfer prawns to a bowl and add enough cold water to soak them properly for 15 minutes. Before using, wash the prawns once or twice in running water and add them to the curry.
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned under ground masala to a smooth paste and set aside.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and add ginger and onions. Saute the onions till they are a light golden brown and add tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes for 5-7 minutes till they break down easily with the back of a spoon.
- Add the ground masala and salt to the pan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the flame and simmer the masala for 10-15 minutes till the colour deepens slightly. Add the defrosted (drain the water) prawns to the gravy and cook them for 7-8 minutes. Sprinkle curry leaves on top, mix well and switch off the flame. Let the curry rest for 5 minutes before serving with steamed rice.
Recipe & Image Credit: Visit site