Big Sam’s Ingredient: Chicken
Preparation Time: 1 Hour 25 Minutes
Marination ingredients for chicken biryani
- ½ kg chicken
- 3 tablespoons curd or yogurt or dahi
- 1 ¼ tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- Salt as needed (I used about ½ tsp)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric or haldi
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red chilli powder (use less spicy variety)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon biryani masala powder or garam masala (Refer notes)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice (optional)
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 4 green cardamoms or choti elaichi
- 4 to 6 cloves or lavang
- 1 inch Cinnamon or dalchini
- 1 Star anise or chakri phool
- ¾ teaspoon shahi jeera or caraway seeds
- 1 strand mace or javitri
- 2 cups basmati rice or chawal (aged rice only)
- 2 tablespoon ghee or Oil
- 1 onion large – sliced thinly
- ¼ to ½ cup mint (or pudina chopped – about 12 to 15 leaves)
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- ¼ cup curd or 4 tbsps yogurt or dahi
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (optional, skip for kids)
- 1 teaspoon biryani masala powder (or garam masala)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt to add to chicken
- 3 cups water or thin coconut milk (if using normal rice use more water)
- ¾ teaspoon salt to sprinkle in water
- 2 tablespoon fried onions (optional)
Preparation for chicken biryani
- Make gashes on the chicken. Marinate with curd, ginger garlic paste, ½ tsp salt, biryani masala powder, turmeric & chili powder. Set aside for 1 hour. Wash basmati rice thrice and soak for 30 mins. Drain to a colander.
How to make chicken biryani
- Heat ghee or oil in a cooker or pot. Saute whatever spices you have – bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, shahi jeera & mace for a minute. Fry onions stirring often until light brown.
- Saute chicken for 5 mins on a medium heat. Cover & cook on a low flame until the chicken is soft cooked.Saute to evaporate excess moisture in pot.
- Add curd, pudina, green chili, red chili powder, ¼ tsp salt, 1 tsp biryani masala.
Layering for chicken biryani
- Mix everything well and layer chicken evenly at the bottom. Spread rice in a layer over the chicken.
- Pour 3 cups water or thin coconut milk to a bowl. Add ½ to ¾ tsp salt and mix. Taste the water. It must be slightly salty.
- Pour 2 cups of this water across the sides of the cooker or pot. Gently pour 1 cup water on top of the rice. Level the rice if needed. Sprinkle mint & fried onions.
- Cooker method – Set the flame to medium high. Cover & place the whistle. Cook for 1 whistle. Set the cooker away from the burner to stop cooking further.
- Pot method – If cooking in a pot, cover and cook on a medium flame until the rice is done to your liking.
Rest until the pressure settles. Fluff up the chicken biryani with a fork. Serve from top to the bottom layer. Each serving gets biryani rice from top and chicken from the bottom layer.
- Enjoy chicken biryani with raita and sliced veggies, papad and shorba.
Recipe & Image Credit: Visit site